Friday 10 October 2008

The Addidtional Perspective (TAP): The project idea development

I am also considering a theme for my portfolio - a message that I want to communicate with my portfolio. I want to touch issues of cultural diversity of Britain as oppose to its media purity. Traditionally white, male dominated the media in the UK are struggling to objectively report and represent the British multiculturalism. This situation could be changed if media institutions have raised the opportunities for journalists coming from diverse national and ethnic backgrounds.

Personally, I find myself constantly trying to challenge the stereotypes present in the British media that only a native English speaker can be a good journalist. In this blog I will try to briefly explore the issues of:
  • representation of national and ethnic minorities in the media and media institutions,

  • identity and self-representation (through creative work),

  • multiculturalism and its illusions.

The way I, as a journalist with a Polish background, see the world around me differs from the mainstream point of view. In my project I will reflect on the additional perspective that my background throws on my writing and on my career development.

After speaking to the tutor and receiving the initial approval for my idea I begun to think about my identity as a producer and the title for my blog and project itself.
As I decided to produce an online portfolio of my own works branding it with my name seemed an obvious choice. However, my name is sooo looong! No one can even pronounce it and no one would ever remember it. This is why I decided to choose an abstract title assisted by a byline.

I was thinking of something to do with vision or perspective, something referring to creativity and my national identity. How about:

Vistula Visions UnLimited

This is a logo of the University of St. Thomas volunteering programme called VISION. I could use it as an inspiration to design my own logo, which would impose graphic elements such as eye, river, map of the world, colour blue, maybe flags (British and Polish) etc...

No comments: